Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Today, I wanted to try making some flavored cottage cheese, and ended up making some lovely Ricotta cheese. Strictly speaking, Ricotta is a snowy white cheese that is made from the whey [drained liquids] of other cheese such as mozzarella for instance, you can also make it at home using buttermilk.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds using a heavy bottomed pan. Roughly grind them, leaving a few seeds intact.
- Pour the milk into a steel utensil. Add all the spices and seasonings.
- Heat the milk on high heat, stirring every once in a while.
- Add the buttermilk after about 10 minutes, or when the milk is about to rise, whichever is earlier.
- The milk should curdle shortly – somewhere around 180 degrees.
- Pour into a muslin/cheesecloth lined sieve.
- Gather up the cloth, tie on top and hang till it stops dripping.